Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Followership (Blog 6)

Followership

            Last week in class we discussed another concept of leadership, one that plays a viable role in leadership itself.  Followership, as defined in our blue book, is the capacity or willingness to follow a leader. There are many types of followers that were discussed in class that I would like to reflect on in this blog. Another side to followers that will be touched in this blog as well includes some general guidelines to becoming an effective follower. The theory that is applied to this topic of followership is LMX: Leader-Member Exchange Theory.
            As I mentioned above there are many types of followers. Each type of follower comes with its benefits and overwhelming aspects. It is great t have such a diverse range of followers, making the group interesting.  They include:

-Isolates: These are the followers that do not care about their leaders, are unaware, detached and do nothing.
-Bystanders: These are the people who go with the flow, usually when it is in their self-interest, disengaged, aware but does nothing.
-Participants: Followers in this category invest a little to make an impact, care somewhat, free agent
-Activists: These are the followers that are eager, energetic, engaged and feel strongly one way or another about leaders and talk accordingly.  
-Diehards: The followers in this group are deeply devoted to their leaders or may want to oust their leaders, all encompassing commitment.

Relating the above types of follows to my everyday life is a moderately easy task. I am very lucky to say that I have benefited greatly from leading as well as following. An example of the type of follower I am can be concluded from when I play team sports or have fun at the rec. I am a diehard when it comes to being a part of the team, I love to have full inclusion and I love being committed to the team; I work hard and never give up, this proves my devotion to staying in shape and aiding my team to win.
            Taken from the handout given in class, the following is a short guideline on becoming an effective follower.

·      Offer support to the leader
·      Take initiative
·      Play counseling and couching roles to the leader when appropriate
·      Raise issues and/or concerns when necessary
·      Seek and encourage honest feedback from the leader
·      Clarify your role and expectation
·      Show appreciation
·      Keep the leader informed
·      Resist inappropriate influence of a leader

In my own opinion, these are very specific and understandable guidelines that can create a very effective follower, one who believes in their leader and what they are working towards to make change. Relating this to my life, I feel that I have displayed several of these characteristic at work when I take the initiative to do more than what is asked of me and when I show my appreciation towards my boss.
            The LMX theory helps explain what qualities or type of relationship should be established between leaders and their followers. Thus informing us that leaders do not need to interfere with the distribution of resources, time, energy and attention of their followers. If this theory is implemented right, many followers can grow to become powerful leaders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment