Thursday, April 14, 2011

Inclusivity-Culture (Blog 10)



Inclusivity-Culture

Last week in my foundations for leadership course we discussed aspects of culture, around the basics of inclusion and how it pertains to leadership.  What is culture? Culture is the basic integrated pattern of human knowledge, behavior and belief. This depends on the individual’s capability for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations. In other words, the customary social forms, beliefs and material traits of a racial, social or even religious group are at work here. Two main points that we discussed and I will bring fourth in this blog are centered on individualism and collectivism. 

-INDIVIDUALISM:
The concept of individualism is geared around individual and autonomous development. These individuals stand out from the rest to develop their own skills and opportunities. Control, personal choice, competitive, results oriented, impersonal and being future oriented are aspects of this point of view.  These individuals are inevitably in charge of their own fate, strive for the best in every situation and do more with less. The structure of this system or viewpoint is hierarchical. Greed may arise in some situations.

-COLLECTIVISM:
            The concept of collectivism is basically the interdependent development of a group. The members of this group often just tend to blend in with the rest of the people they are associated with. These group members often develop their skills and opportunities from others. Doing what is best for everyone, trust and generosity are major aspects to this view. In order to do what is best for the group, flat; shared leadership should be implemented. These group members are familial, collaborative and process oriented. Along with all that they tend to be past, present and future oriented as well.

            After we briefly became familiar with each view, individualism and collectivism, we began to see just what factors in time have shaped, molded or modeled these views of leadership. Some instances from the past that have shaped our view of individualism were the rise of Capitalism during the sixteenth century and fifteenth-nineteenth-century Pioneering. Along with these past contributions to individualism, there are also current contributions being made in this day and age. With the newest technology, malls, supermarkets and shopping centers just about around any corner you turn, our communities are changing in connection.
            Today, My individualism point of view is applied to my life in my schooling. I have always been a very independent, competitive and result-oriented individual. I base my school around those qualities at times.  I fight for the best grade in every course, as well as do my own work and to the best of my ability. My personal choice was instituted as I chose to attend college, let alone the University of Arizona. Decisions all made on my own for my personal development.
            However, my collectivism point of view is implemented when I am playing sports or hanging out with my friends. I look to my friends for their ideas and support, thus I am developing my skills and opportunities from the influences made by my friends. When I am around my friends I am always generous, displaying and receiving trust, as well as always doing what is best for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment