Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Inclusivity-Social Justice (Blog 11)


            Last week in class we learned about the many aspects of Social Justice as it pertains to inclusion. Two main concepts that were described in class include Privilege and Hard Work. The two concepts will be described bellow; as well how privilege is related to hard work.  We participated in an effect of oppression activity, while learning the effects of oppression and our personal privileges.

-Privilege:
            A privilege is a special advantage exercised at the detriment of others.  People of the upper class are generally associated with this word. Having more than others. Being better off.

-Hard Work:
            Working for what you have, not receiving a hand out or short cut. Generally associated with physical labor. Working to get where you are, or to have what you have.  Trying to have a better life.

-How is privilege related to hard work?
            Some people will overcome the barriers created by oppression and exceed from hard work, while others cannot. However, regardless of privilege, some people just do not work hard.

            The effects of oppression activity consisted of these categories family, crime, social norms, media, geography, business, government, education and health. The task was to connect a way the institution oppresses people based on their identity/social group membership, indicated by the instructor.
            My privileges have shaped and aided me through life. They include; my race, my gender, my sexual orientation, my religion and my ability. The effects of my privileges may have different outcomes depending on the situation. In the sense of education, I have more opportunities, based on my social group identity. Another example includes the business industry, where based on my gender and race, I am more likely to get the job.
            Overall, I can relate the concept of “my privileges” and hard work to my daily life. A privilege, society has created, that in many cases puts me in the upper hand of the situation, would be my race, white. Also, thanks to society, being male is a nice privilege as well. Taken the scenario of getting a job at a bank or business firm, the white male has a better potential of getting the job. I relate to hard work in my daily life when it comes to school. I am usually the one contributing the most in-group projects. I always help clean up after events and even set most of them up before hand. When I am asked to help with something, generally speaking, I tend to go above and beyond what is asked.
            I feel that me fun loving and giving personality go hand in hand with the privileges I have. My privileges have defiantly shaped the aspect of hard work in my life. It is safe to assume that there is always down fall when it comes to privileges. However, I would not change mine for the world. They have helped shape me into the strong willed individual I am.  Hard work is something that is continually, so saying I have all the ability to be the hardest worker would be irrelevant. This is true to me because I believe in always learning and getting better. So working hard will change as I progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment